All-around Competition – TOP 3 and BOTTOM 3 moments!
Yesterday was intense!
The all-around competition left us all at the edge of our seats, with some amazing performances from the 24 gymnasts who had qualified to the finals. We saw some great routines out there and in the end it was Gabrielle Douglas, Viktoria Komova and Aliya Mustafina who got the medals!
Here is my take on the top 3 and bottom 3 moments of the competition:
– Aliya Mustafina gets a medal: She is one of my personal favorites and to see her win the bronze medal with a smile on her face, just made me so happy! She has come a long way since her injury and it just proves that she is one of the greatest competitors out there.
– The Chinese hit: After having a hard time on Team Finals, it was really nice to see Deng Linlin and Huang Qiushuang hitting all their routines and looking happy with their performance!
– Gabby gets the Gold: It was a really special moment when Gabby waved to the crowd after her floor exercise, knowing she had done her best! When the scores were finally out and she was indeed the Champion, it was amazing to see her and Chow’s reaction. Such a deserving duo!
– Hannah Whelan falling on vault: So sad to see her fall in a skill she can usually perform just fine. She was obviously crushed about it, but came back to a nice routine on the uneven bars to redeem herself in front of her home crowd.
– The “Komova was better” discussion: The whole Komova-should-have-won situation is so 2011 and therefore it is just plain annoying to see some people still insisting on it. Yes, she had the floor routine of her life and it was absolutely beautiful, but it wasn’t enough to close the gap on Gabby: end of discussion. Let’s just appreciate the two of them as the amazing gymnasts they are and be happy we got to see a nice competition.
– Aly on fourth place: Tie-breakers are just very ridiculous and both Mustafina and Raisman should have been awarded bronze medals. It is a shame Aly didn’t get hers, but good thing she still has two event finals to go!
What about you? In your opinion, what were the top 3 and bottom 3 moments of the AA competition?