Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup 2011
USA Gymnastics has posted the eight gymnasts who qualified this weekend at four different meets.
- Amelia Hundley of Hamilton, Ohio/Cincinnati Gymnastics
- Kayla Williams of Huntington, W.Va./Cincinnati Gymnastics
- Brittney Sooksengdao of Olathe, Kan./McCrackens Gymnastics
- Kaitlyn Hall of Raytown, Mo./Kansas Gymnastics and Cheer
- Mykayla Skinner of Gilbert, Ariz./Desert Lights
- Lauren Marinez of Orlando/Orlando Metro
- Georgia Dabritz of Newbury Port, Mass./Ace Gymnastics
- Katie Bailey of Kernersville, N.C./High Point Gymnastics
Now, I thought that this meet was supposed to give some attention to level 10s and give them a chance to meet their idol, Nastia Liukin. Which is why I don’t like the qualifying rules. Any gymnast who isn’t on the US National Team is allowed to compete. Even the 2009 World Vault Champion. It seems wrong to me that five of these eight gymnasts have, to my knowledge, competed as elites. It’s not that I don’t like them, but the way I see it, it is not consistent with the purpose of the meet. I’d actually like to see the best of level ten, not the lower ranked/former elites. To enforce this, I would limit qualified gymnasts to gymnasts who have never competed at the VISA Championships, Covergirl Classics or World Championships. Of course, it’s tricky, because many of these gymnasts may test elite this year.
Besides this, I think the field looks very good. Dabritz has interesting bars with a Comaneci. Williams is obviously a good vaulter, and also used to be strong on floor. Skinner has a double twisting yurchenko and a double twisting double back. I am looking forward to watching the meet which will be shown live online, and will continue posting the other qualifiers.